Thursday, December 11, 2008

Always.......... four hooves and a tail

I am totally convinced that I came into this world with a passionate desire to jump on the back of a horse. This equine love -affair first manifested itself when I was about 4 and invoked the W.O.G (wrath of god) - that is, I made my mother angry - because I continually drew beautiful (in my eyes) sketches of horses in the fly leaves of my new kiddy books, These drawings looked something like this


and were the first evidence of my great artistic talent, which would bloom in later years.


I first found my way onto the back of a real honest-to-Jehosephat horse when I was five and my family was visiting paternal relatives in Ontario, Canada. My cousin Trisha also loved horses, and at age 9 she had her own, kept at a local stable. I just couldn't believe that she had one and I didn't!! I don't know who was in charge of this ride, but Trish and I and at least two adults set off on a trail ride. Yeah!! Check out the photo!

OMG!! I would NEVER let a child of mine go off trotting in the woods like this - tiny child, big horse, no reins, can't reach the stirrups!! How did I survive? :>)
There was never any discussion of this incident over the years - it just was part of my introduction to horsiene
ss!



Well, of course, I was hooked, and a riding fanatic from then on. One year I asked my dad to take me riding as a birthday present, and by golly, we went - even tho it was the middle of July and about 95 degrees out.

My dad wouldn't get me my own horse - he believed I wouldn't take care of it (interpret that - "she'll lose interest"). So, I found a friend who had two horses, and I learned to ride on her old cow pony.

Grew up ... got married...had kids...still loved horses .








FINALLY - 1977 - my very own horse. Faffner - a wonderful Morgan gelding.


More st
ories about him another time...




Today, my story encourages everyone to enjoy himself and do a good tu
rn for others at the same time. I'm talking about volunteering your time and services. You might work in a hospital gift shop, dispense soup at a shelter, or, as I did, help with the horses at a therapeutic riding center. I worked with the folks at Flying Changes in Topsham, Maine. This is an equine facility where physically and mentally challenged young people can develop new strengths, abilities, healthy bodies and self confidence by riding and associating with horses. My many years of experience meant that I knew the routine - I could muck stalls (YUCK), brush horses, comb tails, oil tack and saddle up with the best of 'em

There were a lot of volunteers, and we worked hard to keep the aisles swept and the 16 horses clean and fed.

But the best part of all this was helping the kids with their riding experiences. A 5 year-old with say, Downs Syndrome, has very little balance or ability to stay on a horse by himself. Each ride requires two adults - one to lead the horse (like me) and one to work with the child (a licensed equine therapist)

This picture is NOT a handicapped child -just a young person getting his first horse experience. The aspect of this that I need to tell is this - I am getting older, and I dont do all the exercise that I used to when I was 35. Sooo.... when the person leading the lesson explained that it was
time for the child to learn to TROT- I suddenly realized that I was leading the horse, and OMG - I had to RUN to keep the horse at a trot. Well, I was about wiped out after two circuits of the riding arena. :>)

Yup, this "volunteering" was in many ways the best thing I did for myself in several years.!! Puff, puff - I'll lose weight yet!!



No comments: